On 27/08/2010 11:56, Ian Spencer wrote:
Had a quick look at Nick's current rendering which is a good stab as you said. The thing that sticks out is that there are very few footpaths rendered as public footpaths. It is unsurprising that this happens because Potlatch et al have defaults when you select public footpath that just implement footpath. The biggest job for any reliable map would be to get mappers to properly identify which paths are probably public footpaths (said in such ways because even OS deny being reliable for that determination). THis is where map rendering becomes an art and where a decision gets taken as to whether to render footpaths as public footpaths unless...

To sort that out, you'd need a tool like keepright to highlight footpaths without access tags (I think that is where the legal status is held). In the UK any signposted public footpath would have this or permissive way, unless you then get into something else that needs mapping for walkers - open access areas.

I think that we've been around this loop before:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:bLMCjOWz1lsJ:lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2009-April/003720.html+freemap+designation+site:lists.openstreetmap.org&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a