On 18/11/2010 20:18, Dave F. wrote:

> If key tags don't mean anything, why have them?

It's a quirk of the way tagging works more than anything. We need
key-value tags for properties like name=* and oneway=* and there's no
point in having two separate tagging systems for "class" type tags and
property type tags.

I believe, once upon a time, shortly before I got involved in OSM, there
was a class=* tag, but since you always had to have a highway=* with
each class=highway, and you couldn't have more than one class=* value,
it was decided it wasn't very useful after all, and it stopped.

In an ideal world, you could have more than one value per key, and we'd
have (for example) class=secondary_highway or class=theatre, or some
shit like that. This makes the whole "which key?" problem go away. The
few occasions where you need to assign two separate classes to the same
feature make that problematic.

There's a certain amount of utility in being able to grab all
highway-related features in something like XAPI or Osmosis using
highway=*, but for less clear cut or overlapping keys, like tourism=* or
historic=* it just doesn't work as well. You could use duplicate keys
(tourism=theatre, culture=theatre), but you could just as easily use
TagTransform to solve the same problem.

So we have keys for class tags mostly because we *have* to, and because
for certain types of features it helps with identifying a general
grouping for the tag, but not all. Most of all, changing foo=bar for
baz=bar achieves absolutely *nothing*.

Hope this helps -- if I've missed a point let me know, because this is
turning into a good draft of a post for a wider audience.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan (Jonobennett)