<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12360687>

The lack of good turn-restriction information can be lethal.  (Of course, this
news story proves that people should keep looking at the road signs even when
using sat-nav.  It also proves that sometimes they do not.)

Perhaps we need an explicit tagging for 'no turn restriction' at junctions.
Data checking can then produce a warning for major road intersections where the
turn-restriction info is missing.  To keep the report manageable, it would have
to be restricted to junctions where one of the roads is highway=primary or
secondary.  That's still a lot of checking to do.

I have sometimes wondered whether harvesting GPS traces would help with this
task.  If every trace shows turning left at the junction, flag a warning for
somebody to check whether a turn restriction needs to be added.  But to do that
we would need a bigger collection of traces, appropriately tagged to show which
are from motor vehicles.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>