> You've probably seen the numerous edits by chriscf. Can anyone
> explain
> the purpose of these edits & what the the tags below even mean?

I can try, but

> I've had no reply to an email sent to him a couple of days ago

nor have I, so it is mainly guesswork.

source:maxspeed does have a page on the wiki
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source:maxspeed
I've just added the Key template to the page, and to my surprise it
seems to be fairly widely used (possibly not all by chriscf...)

Why he's adding it? I can't be sure. My guess is the aim is to mark
ways that have national speed limit signs whereas the maxspeed=60mph
or maxspeed=70mph is the 'implied speedlimit'. I was doing something
similar locally using maxspeed:type=national or
maxspeed:type=national_dual_carriageway and the reason I was doing
this is the occasional news story where the government is thinking
of reviewing national speed limits - having those ways subject to
such an existing limit in a way I can get them through JOSM or XAPI
fairly easily to update the maxspeed values seemed sensible when I
started. I had previously used maxspeed=national which is mentioned
somewhere elsewhere on the wiki, but decided I'd put speeds on the
roads and use maxspeed:type as a personal reference in case it was
needed later. Again I'm guessing that UK:nsl_single and UK:nsl_dual
are the values that chriscf made up for use with the source:maxspeed
tag; my unanswered message to him of the other day suggested they
should be documented if he wanted other mappers to use the same
values, and explain what they were for. Anyway, I'm currently adding
maxspeed:type as I was doing and source:maxspeed just to keep the
bot away...

> I'm most concerned about the 'inferred' references, which, to me,
is
> no
> better than guessing; something that should not be a part of OSM.

Yes - it annoys me too. More than that I've got to now track down
all the FIXME:nsl tags which don't seem to show in the available
FIXME validation layers I have available currently.

Ed