-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: Other Routes with Public Access
Date:   Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:10:19 +0000
From:   Mike Harris <m...@delco.idps.co.uk>
To:     Tom Hughes <t...@compton.nu>
CC:     Mike Harris <mik...@googlemail.com>, talk-gb@openstreetmap.org

I would assume that information that is, for example, based on personal local knowledge or on personal conversations with people having such knowledge (including but not restricted to public servants in the Highway Authority) is a legitimate and unencumbered source. There are also, in some areas at least, lists of ORPAs that are publicly available (in the same way that the 'List of Streets' is publicly available). I am not aware of ORPAs ever being signed as such (although a few do have some sort of signage indicating that there is a public right of access - and others illegally indicating otherwise!).

I am not insensitive to the need for OSM to remain free of any copyright or similar restrictions but I do not think absence of physical signage /ipso facto/ constitutes such a barrier to use.

Mike Harris