On 23 March 2011 19:25, TimSC <mapp...@sheerman-chase.org.uk> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> Here is part of an email I sent to a few councils regarding rights of way
> data (footpaths, bridleways, etc):
>

> I have a big and fairly complicated request regarding the definitive map. I
> am interested in making data more accessible to the public (as encouraged by
> central government [1]). It would be great if the rights of way data could
> be released without restriction, specifically the definite map. As you
> probably know, the rights of way data is derived from Ordnance Survey
> products which until now has prevented this data being released without
> restriction because of copyright. However OS will soon introduce the Public
> Sector Mapping Agreement which defines how government bodies can use OS
> products [2]. This includes a new mechanism for public bodies to request
> datasets that have been derived from OS products to be release either
> licensed as "OS OpenData" or "Free to Use" (section 2.5 of the license [3]).
>
> [1] http://data.gov.uk/
> [2]
> http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/business/sectors/government/psma/
> [3]
> http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/business/sectors/government/psma/docs/psma-member-licence.pdf
>

> Kent County Council wrote back:
>
> Dear Mr Sheerman-Chase
> Thank you for your email.
> I will forward your suggestions and comments to the Head of the Service
> and Definitive Map Team.
> Kind regards
> Countryside Access Service
>

> Does anyone have any ideas on how to actually get the councils to apply to
> OS to exempt their data and release it? Currently, I get the impression that
> they don't rate data openness as a high priority - they just nod and smile
> until I go away. It would be good to get this data for quality assurance or
> even ... dun dun dunnnnn... importing. Could we start a petition? Or use any
> contacts the community has to make this happen? Any other data sets worth
> liberating?
>
> Once we have set a precedent, it should be easier to get other councils to
> comply, because of the way the OS exemption process works.

Technically I believe that the rights of way on the OS mapping is derived
from the legal documentation provided by the council. As it happens I was
talking to someone who was in a position to know about this recently and he
said that the OS don't even claim ownership of rights of way data.

Also. my understanding is that Kent are particularly proactive on open data.
This youtube presentation is worth looking at even though it seems to be
about their map interface. Clearly they are talking the talk on open data.
http://sparkdev.co.uk/showcase/show/open-kent

Here is another link. Carol Patrick seems to be the person to talk to.
http://www.idea.gov.uk/idk/core/page.do?pageId=9274627

Regards,

Peter