On 06/04/2011 15:02, Chris Hill wrote:
On 06/04/11 14:22, Peter Miller wrote:

Do we have a preference for tagging unrestricted limits in the UK? I say that because a section of the A1 is beginning to look a bit war damaged (as in edit war).

Any thoughts?

I think we should tag what we see on the ground. The sign is national speed limit, not 60 or 70 mph. The black & white sign does not mean 60 mph or 70 mph for every vehicle, lorries have lower limits for example. I currently don't tag maxspeed on national speed limits, but this absence encourages the nonsense that chriscf came up with, so if pushed I'd use maxspeed:national . All of the roads being discussed are in the UK, so they do not need UK: or GB: namespaces. This is a geo-database after all.

What we absolutely don't need is someone making assumptions about somebody else's sources and adding random tags based on those - I don't see that chriscf's "fixme" edits add any value. Personnally I do tag "maxspeed=national" on local A and B roads where there's a sign (and I've noticed it) because locally (Derbyshire) many/most A roads are actually maxspeed 50; adding maxspeed=national should mean "someone's been there and confirmed that that's what the sign says" not "someone who hasn't been there has guessed that it's probably a limit of XYZ". Maybe I need to start using something like "source:maxspeed=sign" as well?

Cheers,
Andy