We have releases a new Electricity generation map using ITO Map which
people might like to look at which colour-codes power stations by fuel
source (coal/nuclear etc). Take a look here:
http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/ito_map/main?view=106&lat=51.822370189439184&lon=0.6237611854769254&zoom=9

It currently recognises both 'power_source' and 'generator:source'.

Generator:source is a newly adopted tag which makes it possible to tag
more sorts of generator plant (such as CHP which generate electricity
and hot water). Read about it here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/generator_rationalisation

Power_source is however still used to a significant degree and is the
tagging that Potlatch2 uses. Tom Chance, who did a lot of work on this
new tagging schema, has added a trac ticket to Potlatch2 recommending
that PotLatch moves to use the new tagging schema for power stations.

Can I suggest that we use the new tagging with new power stations
going forward and convert power_source to generator:source when we
find it.

Regards,

Peter