Hey Graham,

All very helpful information, thank you very very much :-)

I just managed to figure out where I got to. I basically followed the tutorial
here:
http://trac.mapnik.org/wiki/GettingStarted

to save you clicking it, I haven't even got the osm stylesheet yet, but I have
rendered a rather sweet view of the entire world. Not too shabby, and not
exactly advanced, but I was quite happy.

So any pointers for the biggest learning curve bit? ;-)

Maybe I should wait for the thang Richard mentioned, although I'd love to get
something at a more local level than the entire world rendered in Mapnik, just
so I can tick that off my to-do list :-)

ttfn,

Adam