On 29 June 2011 16:12, Graham Stewart (GrahamS) <gra...@dalmuti.net> wrote:
> There was a similar case to this on the Help Centre recently:
> http://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/5839/map-changes-for-personal-use-is-this-right
>
> I suggest we need to make it more obvious to first-time users that when they
> edit the map they are editing the "real" map that everybody sees, not their
> own local, private copy of it.
>
> Any thoughts on how we could achieve that? Maybe a splash screen on Potlatch
> when it detects a user starting it who has no edits? Or is this already done
> (I can't remember to be honest).

Is it time to have a 'white list' of trusted editors onto which one
gets automatically after making a certain number of edits over at
least a certain amount of time unless ones talk page is marked with a
dispute in which case one promotion to white list is delayed?

Until that time one may be restricted from doing certain things (such
as doing major deletes) and tools can highlight 'changes made by new
editors that you might want to check' etc. It will also be possible to
monitor the minutely feeds to spot potentially damaging edits almost
as they occur. This parallels how Wikipedia works.

Even without official blessing it would be possible for someone to
create and maintain such a list and make it available to tool
providers.

Regards,

Peter