hi,
Err..sorry to be dumb,
sorry too! (about my dict.-english ... )
but I have read this three times and still have no
idea what this is about.
What problem are you trying to solve?
What is a "Building Zone"?
may be no lucky item:
not _a_ -, but fabricate- or establish zones:
question about the best way, to mark _zones of an area_,
(for protected areas: center-zone, second-(buffer-)zone, ...)

above I linked to one method, to build some "rings" - thats how those zones look like mostly. But, even if they are joining, they seems to me a littel separated, I would have a better feeling, if I can keep those "rings"/zones more together(or is that enough?).
Therefor I could use the relation-parent/child-model, but first:
relations are not too favoured in osm and second:
its mutch more complicated.

Is this something to do with telling the renderer what order to draw things?
may be
but first, just to save data in a forward-looking way.

is there meanwhile any established method, to tagg zones?

regards