Steve Doerr wrote:
> The Oxford English Dictionary got it wrong then:
> *cider-house* n. a building in which cider is made.

Far be it for me to criticise the august OED (though I'm more of a Chambers
man), but yes, it did.

http://www.thecoronationtap.com/ - "Clifton's original, and still it's only,
ciderhouse"

http://www.ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Cider_house - "A Cider House is like
a pub that serves only cider. They used to be quite common, but there are
only a handful left. Often they were little more than a room in a farmhouse
or cottage, selling cider for consumption on the premises."

http://www.bristolciderhouse.co.uk/

and perhaps the definitive description, by the late Paul Gunningham at
http://www.somersetmade.co.uk/oldscrump/ciderhouses-ciderbar.php :

"Ye Olde Cider Bar in Newton Abbot, Devon, England is a very special place
for scrumpy users; special because it is a surviving example of a rarity
whose numbers have dwindled over the centuries: the cider house. As the name
implies, this is a bar that sells cider to the public, but a cider house is
not a pub - maybe most (if not all) pubs these days sell some form of cider
(even though most only sell the inferior keg variety), but a cider house
definitely does not sell any beer!

"Once upon a time there was a large number of alehouses in England, selling
only ale (beer) to the public, and similarly there were many cider houses
dispensing cider to their thirsty patrons. Over the years, alehouses became
public houses selling a wider range of drinks than just beer - wines and
spirits included. Meanwhile, many former cider houses became pubs, with the
result that today we expect our pubs to sell just about any form of
alcoholic drink, as well as soft drinks.

"At the last count, there were only four surviving cider houses in England -
in the whole of Britain, for that matter. One of these extremely rare and
special places is this cider house in Devon - Ye Olde Cider Bar in the
market town of Newton Abbot on the scenic River Teign, between historic
Exeter and the tourist resort of Torquay."

and so on.

cheers
Richard