In message <CAMNOZYHkg3Tdrd0hyqD975trri2tjbVfNpUNb42wLWqzsbhwXA@mail.g
mail.com> you wrote:

> Preston bus (used?) to operate on a hail and ride basis - i.e. it would
> stop anywhere on the estates to pick people up and set them down - in
> reality this became a few set places (i.e. where the footpath was paved up
> to the road edge rather than having a grass verge) but still rather handy
> actually!

> the set down places still seam to be used but the pick up places are all
> bus stop a now (however there are more than there used to be - most
> installed where people used to "hail and ride"). Seams to be a sensible
> idea for a new build estate - put the paths and bus stops where the people
> want then!

> Also a couple of buses a day were extended past the terminus so there was a
> customary stop opposite the terminus (now signed on the route I know best
> as its no longer a terminus for most services!).

I hope this discussion of the finer points of bus stop strategy is not
boring most people on the list.   Should this move over to
talk-transit?

NaPTAN has a separate method of describing Hail and Ride on suburban
estates.  I am not sure is OSM has imported it, I will need to look
for an example.  It is usually better that a local authority does not
use H & R method in rural areas or where road speeds are higher, as
the number of places it may be safe for the bus to stop will be
limited.  Traveline has some guidance to local authorities about this
at http://travelinedata.org.uk/naptanr.htm

You have correctly identified one circumstance where it may be
deliberate strategy not to locate bus stops on estates, at least not
until the stopping places get established by user preference.  In
rural areas the "deliberate" strategy not to mark all stopping places
is primarily one of cost and in some places there would be objections
because of the visual intrusion in scenic areas.  In these
circumstances a description of the stop in relation to a point of
interest is usually sufficient to indicate the place where it is safe
for people to wait eg lane end, farm gate, phone box.

> On Nov 24, 2011 9:22 AM, "Chris Hill" <o...@raggedred.net> wrote:

>> Andy Allan <gravityst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>Also, in my opinion, unmarked bus stops are a daft concept to begin
>>>with, seemingly dreamed up to make life harder than it needs to be!
>>
>> +1  Why would you have a stop without a sign as a deliberate strategy? It
>> completely defies the idea of bus stops being marked as a place to wait
>> knowing a bus will stop there.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Chris (osm:chillly)

Peter J Stoner
UK Coordinator         http://travelinedata.org.uk
Traveline

Traveline Information Ltd company number 3826797
Drury House, 34-43 Russell Street, LONDON WC2B 5HA