Perhaps you should cross-check the OS water features against Bing imagery.
That would eliminate some of the errors from trusting any one source too much.
Of course it still wouldn't be as good as walking around the outside of each
water feature with a GPS to get the boundary, but I can say from experience that
this takes a very long time!

In some parts of the country there are waterways traced from out-of-copyright
OS maps or from Street View tiles.  Getting the shapes from OS VectorMap will
certainly be an improvement on that.  In my opinion it will also be an
improvement compared to not having the water features at all.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>