On 15 January 2012 10:27, David Dixon <da...@ddixon.force9.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm not the user who recently finished off the Weardale Way (and I don't
> know whether that was done from survey) but surveying the Way has been one
> of my projects.  The route between Frosterley and Wolsingham used to be a
> low level route running close to the railway (the way you've just walked),
> but was subsequently changed to a more interesting higher level route (the
> one that's part of the complete OSM relation).  The signs you saw have
> almost certainly been superseded, but perhaps could be mapped as a separate
> "Old Weardale Way" or alternative route relation?
>
> A change of route would be consistent with what I have seen on the ground
- if I have followed the old route in places, it could account for why it
is so badly signed!
I think having a 'Weardale Way Alternate Route' relation is probably the
best approach, otherwise you get a bit of a mess with all the little bits
of route that do not appear to go anywhere.
I will email the others who have contributed to the route to see what they
know about the alternative bits.

Cheers

Graham.

--