Jason Cunningham wrote:
> Last nights check showed almost the entire route has gone!

:(

> Disturbingly I've been mapping around
> Brixham for the last six months and I'm therefore concerned I may
> have done the dirty deed.

No, you didn't.

It appears to have been deleted by user Sailor Steve
(http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/relation/69318/1747) in changeset
10773722. Possibly the age-old "too easy to delete large relations in JOSM"
issue. I guess it makes a change from the National Byway and poor old NCN 4
which are the usual fallguys...

If there's anyone here who's confident in wangling .osm files (not really my
thing) and can reinstate the old version, please do.

> For other routes your able to access a history, but when I seek the
> history of the  'Southwest Coast Path' things just hang and eventually
> result in an error message.

Some big relations are just too big to show the whole history without
boggling the server, but you can always look at the raw XML:

http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/relation/69318

Then check the version attribute, and page back like this:

http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/relation/69318/1750
http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/relation/69318/1749
http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/relation/69318/1748
etc.