On 20 April 2012 09:42, Peter Rounce <pe...@rounce.me.uk> wrote:
> I am new to OSM and mapping but have an interest in rights of way -
> particularly unsurfaced roads. These are generally referred to as
> byways, ORPAs, UCRs . I see that the OSM data has some of these,
> but possibly only 10% to 20% coverage.
>
> There are a few things I'd like to do to improve this.

I'm interested in improving OSMs Public Rights of Way coverage too. :)

> (2) Update designation='public_byway' to
> designation='byway_open_to_all_traffic' or designation='restricted_byway' as
> appropriate
> Perhaps a FIXME tag on designation='public_byway' would be useful - any
> advice on this welcome.

I would guess that almost all designation=public_byway tags [1] should
be designation=byway_open_to_all_traffic . I think it's very unlikely
that a Restricted Byway would get tagged that way. Maybe we should
consider an automated re-tagging of these, perhaps with the addition
of a fixme tag to ask mapper verify the new designation tag...

Less obvious is what to do with the 90-ish designation=byway tags [2].
Again these are probably going to be BOATs, but were tagged like that
because the signs often just say "Byway". I guess there's slightly
more change they're RBs, so I'd probably not recommend an automated
change here.

We also have a few designation=unknown_byway tagged ways [3]. Perhaps
the designation=byway ones should be converted to this, with a fixme
added to ask mappers to resurvey them.

> (3) Use council definitive statements to update the data semi-automatically
> as I understand the licensing may be ok.

The IP in the Definitive Map and Statements will belong jointly to
Ordnance Survey and the Council / Local Authority that produced them.
Ordnance Survey have said their don't claim any IP in the Definitive
Statement [4], so if (and only if) you obtain the Council's permission
to use it for OSM then you can make use of the Definitive Statement.
(Though not the Definitive Map since that contains IP belonging to OS,
which we don't have permission to use.)

We now have a standard open data license from the Government -- The
Open Government License (OGL) [5] -- which is explicitly compatible
with CC-By-SA and ODbL. It should therefore be simple to ask the
council if you can make use of their Definitive Statement under OGL.
(When I tried getting permission from a couple of councils before OGL
existed, it proved rather difficult as the Council person didn't
really understand OSM, and all their existing re-use arrangements
centred on people wanting to make verbatim copies of documents, rather
than the re-use of information/data. The councils were also concerned
about OSM misleading people as to what were and weren't public rights
of way. But things should be much easier now with the OGL.)

My experience is that the descriptions of the routes in the Definitive
Statements are quite variable. Depending on the council (and in some
cases the parish within the council) the descriptions may or may not
be that useful in working out which ways on OSM they correspond to.
They're generally some use though, and you can often pair them up with
OSM tracks by a process of elimination. Where I have been able to work
out a path in OSM from a definitive statement, I've added a ref=* tag
of the form "[parish] [code] [number]" where [code] is one of "FP",
"BR", "RB" or "BY". See [6] for example.

There's also an issue with obtaining copies of the definitive
statements. Some councils have them on the web in a nice form. Others
don't even have an electronic copy. Legally you are always be able to
inspect a hard copy at the Council's offices somewhere. If there is an
electronic copy, you should be able to obtain it using either the
Freedom of Information Act or the Environmental Information
Regulations (similar to FOI, but with stronger provisions for the
public when environmental information is requested) [7]. If you're
making a request, I'd recommend using the excellent "What Do They
Know" website [8].

Maybe we could have a wiki page with a list of authorities, links to
the Definitive Statement where available, details of requests made
where not, and whether permission to re-use the information has been
requested and/or granted.

> (4) Create more knowledge/clarity on tagging UCRs/ORPAs/unsurfaced roads.
> I am trying to understand the optimum tagging from the OSM KB here, and
> update/collate this.

We probably shouldn't be using "ORPA" in OSM as this is an OS-specific
term, that AFAIK only exists on their maps. For these routes I'd
suggest following the advice in the OS map key and checking on the
route's status with the local highways department. For each one I've
checked, it's turned out that it's technically an Unclassified Public
Highway, though the surface is not maintained and is usually
unmetalled, so the route isn't really suitable for non-4x4 motor
vehicles.

I've therefore tagged these as highway=track (rather than
highway=unclassified) and added a designation=unclassified_highway to
record the legal status, along with appropriate pedestrian, horse and
bicycle access tags to allow routers to make use of them more easily.

Finally if you're interested in Public Rights of Way and Countryside
mapping in OSM, there are a few useful links and a report on
designation=* tags in OSM linked from my page at
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/prow/

Best wishes,

Robert.

[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/designation=public_byway