On 25/05/12 12:30, Andrew Chadwick wrote:
> What value should we use for source:maxspeed=* in built-up areas when
> there's no signage or road markings, just street lights?

There *should* always be signage indicating a change in maxspeed from
something else to 30 mph.

The street lights merely act as repeaters, since normally repeaters are
required every so many yards for a non-NSL limit.  The presence of
street lights does *not* mean 30 mph (just need to look at any lit
motorway for evidence of this).

I have found anomalies, though.  In fact, I happen to live on a road
which is not signed correctly.  It joins a 40 mph road, but there is no
indication of change of speed limit.  I have informed my local council
about this but never heard anything back.

I think really the only thing we can do in such situations is use common
sense.  So source:maxspeed=common_sense?

Alternatively, you could ask the local council which should know the
real limits.

--
Borbus.