Rob Nickerson wrote:

The reason designation=unclassified_county_road is described as obsolete on Robert's page is that there is legally no such thing (unlike public footpaths, etc.. which are included in the legislation - CROW Act 2000).

It's a designation still in use by some councils on the markers in the ground, so where it is, it still makes sense to me to use it. Inferring access rights from that designation is a different issue, though (although in Lincolnshire - the nearest highway authority that marks UCRs to me - I've never seen a UCR that has motor vehicle access prohibited or that doesn't get a reasonable amount of vehicle use).

Whether, at some time before the cut-off date <http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/37/section/56?view=plain>, councils will get their act together and ensure that everything on the list of streets is classified as _something_ on the definitive map (or deleted <http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/37/section/53?view=plain>) is another matter.

... (perhaps as they are not official maybe a note rather than a designation?).

In addition to the above, "note" is already used on some of the ways in question for e.g. "Unsuitable for motor vehicles", so it wouldn't to my eyes be a good idea to overload it with UCR-ness as well.

Cheers,
Andy