On 10 September 2012 20:22, Andy Mabbett <a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> Many places of worship in England and Wales, other than CoE/CoW
> premises, opt to be included on a government register (though this is
> not compulsory):
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Places_of_Worship_Registration_Act_1855
>
> and as such have a unique Worship Number, which we could tag (note
> though that defunct PoWs may not be removed fro the register, in a
> timely manner).
>
> A copy of the register was published in 2010 and is available in
> spreadsheet format:
>

> http://www.brin.ac.uk/news/2011/places-of-worship-in-england-and-wales-1999-2009/
>
> It may be useful in a number of ways:
>
>    * determining postcodes as discussed recently in
>      the context of other lists
>
>    * checking formal names of such premise
>
>    * finding premises inside other buildings, inc. private
>      residences etc, to enable follow-up surveys
>
> Perhaps we can obtain an updated copy, via a new FoI request, or
> asking for it to be published as open data

(link to FOI
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/places_of_worship_registration_a#incoming-84116)

It's certainly an interesting data set but in it's current for it's
hard to use. We would need it as a CSV or similar rather than a PDF.

>From the postcode point of view, it looks like very few of the entries
actually have a postcodes so it would be of limited use. However, if
we could get it in a machine readable format then it would definitely
be useful for the other points you mention.

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com