I've updated my map of GB cycle lanes (and quiet cycle routes). Rendered
using Geofabrik/Osmosis/Maperitive. Now with OdbL data...

http://www.transportparadise.co.uk/DualCycleNetworkMap/

It looks to me like there's quite a lot of cycle lanes missing. A lot of
cycle lane data is available from DfT for review and copying across, but
doesn't appear to have made it's way into OSM yet:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/England_Cycling_Data_project (and yes
this is a bit complicated, but it's quite easy once you get going)

A major part of the update to the cycle lane map has been identifying urban
main roads based on the presence of residential side roads. This was done
using a python algorithm in Maperitive. The results look pretty accurate
(not many false positives). In good share-alike style, I can do three
things with the output:
1) put the output back in the database, by using existing keys (eg
maxspeed=30 mph + maxspeed:source=inferred from presence of residential
side streets)
2) put the output back in the database, using new keys (eg
maxspeed:inferred=30 mph + maxspeed:inferred:source = presence of
residential side streets)
3) publish the algorithm

It doesn't make much difference to me, but clearly people might find the
data useful. So I'm open to views/suggestions.

Richard