Hi Bill,

On 30 December 2012 22:52, Bill Chadwick <bill.chadwi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would be interested to hear how council released prow data has / has not
> been used within OSM to add to or replace existing contributed path data.
> Hants and Devon have released PROW data but sadly many of the paths in the
> New Forest and Dartmoor are not PROW (black dashes on the OS 1:50K). It
> would be good to use a blend of OSM and council data in such areas but I am
> unsure how to avoid duplicate paths if there are paths in OSM not tagged as
> PROW.

Anyone who has used the OS Dartmoor maps will know that they contain
rights of way across the open moor that don't actually exist as paths
on the ground and I can see some of them in this data. So although the
dataset may be useful I don't think anyone who doesn't know the areas
concerned should just try to blindly integrate it with what we already
have.

I also just checked a couple of sections of the SW Coastal Path near
me and the accuracy of the path in the dataset is pretty poor compared
to what we already have which is disappointing.

Kevin (user:devonshire)