Chris Hill wrote:
How did the mapper get this info? What licence is it under? FoI for example is copyright and so still needs to be released under a suitable licence. AFAIK local authorities are responsible for naming roads not the DfT.

(from OSM messages from the original mapper following my list post) I believe that the main evidence is this:

http://www.highways.gov.uk/our-road-network/managing-our-roads/private-finance-initiatives-design-build-finance-and-operate-dbfo/a50a564-stoke-to-derby-link-design-build-finance-and-operate-dbfo-contract/

I'm not convinced on a couple of counts - on that page it definitely reads like a description rather than a name (it's describing which sections of a road opened when).

Re licensing,

http://www.highways.gov.uk/terms-and-conditions/

says

"You may use and re-use the infor­ma­tion fea­tured on this web­site (not includ­ing logos) free of charge in any for­mat or medium, under the terms of the Open Gov­ern­ment Licence.", which links to:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/

Along with Roger Calvert, I'd say that "Foston Hatton Hilton Bypass" sounds like a description rather than a name.

Cheers,

andy