According to the government site below in Scotland the local authorities
don't have to signpost or record the Rights of Way:
https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open-access-land/public-rights-of-way

The paths are recorded and signposted by the charity Scotways where there
appears to be plenty of information:
http://www.scotways.com/

regards,
Steven