Yes, I believe in some cases they are signposted: in which case a ref=* is
entirely appropriate.

W.r.t other commenters, I do not believe that it is the role of OSM to hold
internal identifiers, however authoritative, for any object as a matter of
course. Certainly they should not be placed in tags whose usage is widely
used for both renderers and many other applications (For instance, I don't
want navit to tell me turn left into U1699 MacNaughton
Crescent<http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/187103578>).
Otherwise we'll start putting NLPG ref=* on every address, or if copyright
permits, OSGB TOIDs on every object. Surely we aim to create our own map,
not some copy of what the council holds.

A secondary consideration is that we know that many of these
'authoritative' sources contain errors, both of commission and omission
(I've blogged about several types of these). Like OSM and OSGB data, I am
sure local council data are also prone to time-based degradation. A
significant service which OSM can provide is a second independent look at
the geography of Britain.

I'm also interested in the criteria that Highland use to classify roads as
tertiary or minor.

The road to Acharacle School <http://osm.org/go/e4rnunoQ--> is a tertiary,
but in fact is a short stub only serving the school. I'm not sure that
using the council's classification (which may have much more to do with
road maintenance, width etc., than the traffic distribution network) is
most suitable for achieving a reasonably consistent road classification in
OSM for the UK. (This is a different and much more complex issue, just look
at Spain where every Community has felt the need to create its own  road
classification system).

Jerry