sk53.osm wrote:
I noted above why I dont like tee to hole tracks & the 1st at Macrihanish is a
great example. If you are a scratch golfer you drive over the beach directly at
the hole. Good club golfers will drive more the right avoiding the horrors of
being down on the beach. Hackers will try and just lay-up anywhere on the
fairway towards the 18th green.

Which one is right?

The other problem is that the line may be very different from championship tees
compared with standard tees, and again different for ladies tees.

A more pertinent point from an OSM point of view is that it is not an
on-the-ground feature or suitable for verification.

It does look nice on rendering and those golf maps they show in the newspapers.

Totally understand that, which is probably why arbitrary outlines are wrong as well ;) My point about a line from tee area through to hole is that it does give a clean overview of the course at lower res? Some of the examples Bob supplied we difficult to link tee and hole, but both tee and hole are surv3yable points. Once a better means of adding secondary data is available, then showing the PAR calculations for each colour of tee makes sense but is OTT for the base map.

I'm not a golfer - but I can see the advantage of hints when new to a course.

I've copied to list as I think this is part of the general discussion to get an approved tagging page.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL