From: Rob Nickerson [mailto:rob.j.nicker...@gmail.com]
Sent: 02 June 2013 23:34
To: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Surveying Private Roads

Lancashire CC have a good description of what a "private" street is:

http://www3.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/atoz/a_to_z/service.asp?u_id=1065
<http://www3.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/atoz/a_to_z/service.asp?u_id=1065&t
ab=3&siteid=5409&pageid=29027&e=e> &tab=3&siteid=5409&pageid=29027&e=e

As Nick said, a Private road often simply means that it has not been adopted
by the Local Authority and therefore any maintenance would need to be paid
for by the owners of that road. Despite being marked "private", access
rights may be the same as any other road (i.e. "persons have a right to pass
and re-pass"). Unless it is listed as a Public Right of Way in the Definite
Map and Statement, I would imagine that the only real way to find out is to
test it legally - for example, if the residents applied to have a gate
erected across the road.

I would say, go on and survey, and if you get challenged explain what you're
doing. If someone gets upset about it then just offer to leave. :-)

Rob

  _____

No virus found in this message.