David

[1] http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/dial-the-code/
[2] http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2011/09/plans-to-safeguard-the-supply-of-uk-telephone-numbers/

On 22/08/2013 11:42, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

So to dial Portsmouth from Southampton you need only do 92xxxxxx ? Not
tried it.

Really, to make 023 a "Solent" area code though in any meaningful sense,
you need Fareham, Gosport, Hedge End, Whiteley etc to all be in the 023
area.

Nick

-----Andy Street <m...@andystreet.me.uk> wrote: -----
To: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org
From: Andy Street <m...@andystreet.me.uk>
Date: 22/08/2013 11:10AM
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Phone numbers in little England

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 09:31:49 +0100
Tom Hughes <t...@compton.nu> wrote:

 > On 22/08/13 09:01, Lester Caine wrote:
 >
 > > Personally I still think of 0207 as Inner London and 0208 as Outer
 > > London, but moving the 7/8 as part of the exchange sort of makes
 > > sense these days.
 >
 > Well you think incorrectly then, as that has not been the case for
 > some time, either in theory or in practice. On top of which 0203 is
 > now in use as well...

I don't think the UK population has really cottoned on to the idea of
three digit area codes. We have a similar situation here on the South
Coast where some people think the area code is 02380 for Southampton and
02392 for Portsmouth when it is actually 023 for the whole area. I do
sometimes wonder whether it is a simple misunderstanding or the old
local rivalry and not wanting to get lumped in with "that lot at the
other end of the M27"! ;)

Andy Street