OpenStreetmap HADW wrote:
Whilst most London people don't realise that they can abbreviated
numbers, I believe it is still common to miss the area code, once you
get outside a director area (although that might just be a
generational thing, with older users less likely to be using mobile
phones).

Well it is still perfectly acceptable to say 'Evesham 842908' and locals know just to ring the number. This was one of the reasons the inner/outer split of London was so unpopular initially. But you need to be able to look up the exchange code and I can remember being given a phone number after having an accident on the M4. I don't remember the exact name, but something like 'Forest Hill 1234' and 4 digit numbers were acceptable back then, except 'Forest Hill' was a local sub exchange that was not listed and even directory enquiries did not recognise it! 'Reading 123456' obviously did not have as posh a ring, but I of cause though it has a duff number and the Police became involved. SO lets stick to numbers ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL