On 17 September 2013 09:15, SK53 <sk53....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a general point about shops. There is a perfectly good OPEN data source
> containing address (& postcode centroid as lat/lon) available for all food
> outlets covering most UK local authorities.

Aren't the postcode centroids subject to the Post Office rights?

> This is the Food Standards Agency's Food Hygiene Rating Scheme. I don't in
> general use it for armchair mapping (the exceptions being places I used to
> know well, where I have used FHRS to verify that a pub/restaurant/cafe is
> still in business), but it is very powerful for a) finding places to survey;
> and b) adding address data.
>
> It is certainly likely to cover major chains such as : Tesco, Morrison,
> Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Asda, Boots, Superdrug, W.H. Smith.

Interestingly the local Sainsbury's and Asda hypermarkets are missing
(as seem to be Tesco and Morrisons)!  (On the other hand church halls
and small businesses which are not basically food related did come
up.)  Many of the "local"/"express" variants of the big ones do turn
up (I wonder if these are actually franchises).

> Like most data sources it's not perfect: I've encountered a few omissions
> (including the banqueting hall mentioned in an earlier thread) as well as
> out-of-date information.

There seems to be quite a high omission and error rate in my borough.
>From the confusion an initial report  produced, I'm not sure the
council is actually set up to cope with intelligence about food
businesses not produced by the businesses themselves, except, possibly
if there is a complaint.

On the other hand, in the case of the store locator mapper, they
missed an existing node that had an FHRS address that is more
plausible than the one they hads (might be an Id problem - they had
"15", the original one had "1-5";  maybe Id wants pure numbers), and
one of their that I corrected came up with a more detailed address in
FHRS.

> License info on the FHRS site is somewhat opaque, but Open Data gov provides
> this search.
>
> So there is no need to even think about using Store Locator stuff on
> proprietary websites.

Unfortunately, the new breed of mappers probably know about locators,
but not about FHRS, and they are probably not that aware of how all
pervasive copyright is, and how damaging infringements could be.