I've noticed that locally a number of "GB:nsl_single", "GB:nsl_dual", and "GB:motorway" "maxspeed:type" values have been consolidated into "gb:national", so that that gone from nowhere to being the second most-used value:

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/maxspeed:type#values

An example is:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/4076295/history

Is this how we're mapping "national speed limits" now? Other than simple Garmin maps I'm not a consumer of the data, so am happy with whatever people decide. Actually, I was happy using "maxspeed=national" until some people (writing routers I think) complained that they couldn't figure out whether "national" meant 60mph or 70mph and what other restrictions might apply, and insisted on a numeric value in maxspeed, but I was happy to go along with that as long as the fact that it's a national limit rather than a numeric one wasn't lost.

Apologies if this has already been discussed at length somewhere else, but if so I never got the memo :)

Cheers,

Andy