There appears to be a user named "VanguardWay" (
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/VanguardWay/edits) who has been
systematically adding "Vanguard Way" to all ways along the route, all in
mid-September of this year.  To their credit, I suppose, they've added it
as an extra name with a forward slash rather than replacing any existing
names, but clearly the relation is both more correct and far older.