> (And yes, before it went live, many people suggested to remove the
> Welcome box as well.)
And the response was 'we will not change it!' so why ask for comments when
the
changes were already a done deal?

--

Hi Lester,

I just want to pick up on this point to make it clear that the "we" in this
case was those folks from Mapbox who put the many hours into this redesign,
including explaining their design ideas at both SOTM US and SOTM. For them
the close button was not a priority, but many of the other comments were
integrated (just see the length of the "github pull request" [1]). I am
trying to make clear that the "we" is not the OSM System Admins, other OSM
developers, the Engineering Working Group (or any working group) or the OSM
Foundation.

Why is this important? Basically it means that anyone can add a close
button and this would be considered in exactly the same way as the
redesign. As you will now be aware, RichardF has now done that work :-)

Regards,
Rob

[1] https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/498