Hi Brian,

Ok, I didn't realise Andy had offered off-list.

Here's one bit of work I did mapping trees:
http://tom.acrewoods.net/2011/04/19/maps-open-data-and-activism-on-the-heygate-estate/

It's also worth reading this report, particularly the section from
paragraph 4.11, which gives some idea of the context of street tree data
collection and availability by councils:
http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/FINAL%20street%20trees%20report%20010611.pdf

Since then a few councils have released some more semi-open data
(encumbered by the usual uncertainties around OS licensing), but they
aren't doing so in a way that makes it easy to track whether threes have
been planted or felled, and few councils give useful open data on
attributes like height, circumference and canopy size that would enable
someone to estimate the spread of roots.

Regards,
Tom