>    - Around Maidenhead a wall post box mounted in a brick pillar is a
>    fairly common type. I'm at a loss as to how these might be tagged using
>    post_box:type. A good example is SL6 4, which is tagged as a pillar, but
>    according to Post Hoc is a wall box
>    http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postboxes/boxinfo.cgi?ref=SL6+4. See
>    this box on Flickr
>    http://www.flickr.com/photos/oxfordshirechurches/2558826678/
>
> They're wall boxes but have had a brick post built for the purpose of
hosing them, right?
Maybe map the post as a short wall then! With a central node for the post
box.

I suppose the question is how would someone find these types of posts/post
boxes, and having to search post_box:type=wall get ways that node is in see
if way is barrier=wall check length of wall is less than 3m, is a bit too
harsh. But I think you're needing to describe the housing not the postbox.
Is a really generic key like site_type=purpose_built or
site_type=brick_post the right idea?

--
Gregory
o...@livingwithdragons.com