By chance I mapped a couple of crossings at the junction of Southchurch
Boulevard & Thorpe Hall Avenue (http://osm.org/go/0EGQ1kp6R--). The first
is not marked on the roadways, but is an asphalt path across the central
reservation. The second has zebra crossings on both carriageways and a
footway between them.

Just now I've added a landuse=grass area on the easternmost end of
Southchurch Boulevard. This does nothing for routing, but does help with
visually interpretation of the map. My impression was that in this area
most natural desire lines for crossing both roads are broadly met by OSM as
it stands. It is always possible to see if there are other observable
desire lines just by looking for paths worn across the grass. These can be
added, and I believe there is even a tag
<http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/path=desire> which can be added to
reflect that these paths are just desire lines, not anything official or
maintained. My impression is that bus stop access is probably the major
factor which might result in the creation of such paths.

It's always possible that someone somewhere in OSM has invented a tag for
annotating ways whose purpose is solely for routing. (Some imported data on
waterways has something termed an ArtificialPath for linking linear
elements (streams, rivers) within an area element (lake or reservoir).

HTH,

Jerry Clough
SK53