Hi, I am a JOSM defector from Potlatch 2 so I might sound a bit odd. Directions
will definitely be necessary because I have to modernise a majority of routes
(most of which are outdated). The modernised routes will use route_master so
that all variations may be respected where it occurs. I am giving priority to
modernising Borismaster routes so that those interested can create a map of
Borismaster routes.

I try to make the name as useful for all editors from all corners of the globe,
and have it make sense as much as possible because I want reduce updating times
for editors when London Buses implements alignment changes or long term
diversions (about 30 days or more). I rejected the format "999
<direction>bound" because it would confuse with other networks such as the LCN.

I am personally not aware of figure of eight routes (except for teeny ones at
terminuses themselves where there are gyratories). I get the idea of the
direction from the Underground signs where they say “Victoria line northbound”
and “District line westbound”. A compromise scheme could take out the “route”
and make it based on what the announcer says on the iBus, like "London Buses 38
to Victoria”. Thoughts prior to consideration for implementation?

Also, it would be nice to have a regular bus routes guru who uses JOSM, once
the routes and stops are modernised to the public transport scheme. Keeping the
routes up to date would entice TfL to go to OSM.