I am trying to think how to reduce incidents that would cause alarm to users
like me, but there is no point in flagging new editors because it won’t help
them integrate into OSM.

I am not an expert in iD since I moved on from Potlatch, but Potlatch at least
denotes relations on ways, while iD does not.

I know that people are trying to make OSM easy to edit but how it would not
make sense to at least put a prompt saying “Deleting this way will affect
routes that depend on it: make sure that such routes have an appropriate
diversion. Are you sure you want to do this?”

I notice that the relations are way down the sidebar: is this causing some
users to not know about relations?

Antje