On 01/11/14 20:08, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
I in fact even proposed incorporating a system that makes this
explicit in the notes API:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2014-August/070423.html

Most people in the field who don't know how to map also don't know how to specify new content accurately, so it will need at least verifying against aerial imagery. Also, the majority of them are anonymous, so there is no traceability without a named user doing a survey, or mapping what can be verified from imagery, only.

There will be a small number of cases where people know their own limitations.

(A large proportion of notes are graffiti, personal mapping of already mapped objects, mapping of event locations, and mapping of home addresses. I've sometimes annoyed myself by doing the survey, then realising that the object is already mapped.)