hi,

SK53 schrieb:
Regarding your suggestion of brand as a tag: this was exactly why I
suggested the taxon tag rather than species long ago.
I read about that. Taxon is less "common spelling" and wouldn't work on that reason, I think. Everyone knows, what species are. Its more easygoing.

Japanese flowering cherries have such complicated genetics that the
species they originate from is not clear.They are therefore referred to
in the botanical and horticultural literature as follows /"Prunus
/'Kanzan'; for apples we can use "/Malus domestica/ 'Bramley Seedling'"
or "/Malus domestica/ 'MacIntosh'" (for fanbois), but note "/Malus
/"Granny Smith'" because its precise specific origin is not known
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granny_Smith>.
I would never say that I'm realy sure, particularly in that genetic-based nomenclatura-reformation times.

species=Malus
or
species=Malus spec.
or
species=Malus domestica
brand=Bramley Seedling

brand=MacIntosh

brand=Granny Smith

isn't it suffice and handsome?

may be an additional tag for
"sitting on an rootstock"=
or for an company an additional one
label=Mr. Blingblang

Plants have specific conventions for naming (think how OSM will look
after 250 years of tagging): ICBN for wild plants and ICNCP for
cultivated ones. We are best sticking with these.
a nomenclatura
OSM is no botanical database (another job), but can become connected therewith.

Even if the trees planted are named on the labels, experience shows that
plant nurseries are not infallible (we have a purported Cork Oak which
is /Quercus robur/ in our local arboretum).
yes.
Thats our assignment than? :)

best,
t.

Jerry

On 8 December 2014 at 14:17, tshrub
<my-email-confirmat...@online.de
<mailto:my-email-confirmat...@online.de>>
wrote:

    hi,

    SK53 schrieb:

        Hi Dan,

        I've had enough trouble with cherry trees on the north side of
        Cambridge: you really need flowers, leaves & fruit to be able to
        do them
        properly! Some are flowering cherries (loosely /Prunus serratula/,
        others are passable eaters or jam makers, so presumably cultivars of
        /Prunus avium/); and plenty are on a /Prunus avium/ rootstock
        even if
        other kinds of cherry.

    but when its a project and their talking about varieties, there will
    be a contact person, how knows specie, variety, sort

    natural:tree
    type=broad_leafed
    species=Prunus avium
    species:en=Cherry
    height=8.5

    and I think very importend is, to fix or remember or register the
    kind or *sort of fruit*, because there are so many and often they
    become forgotten by time.

    simular for beer with brewery=

    may be use a tag like
    brand=
    for the predominant aspect.

    and
    brand:rootstock=

    may be, we should add it to the tree-wiki-tag?
    (upcomming, in times of genetic 'illusions' or 'hightspreads' ;)  )

    see too:
    <http://mundraub.org/map>

    and additional:
    picking=self
    fee=no

    best,
    t.

        Jerry

        On 7 December 2014 at 20:09, Dan S
        <danstowell+...@gmail.com
        <mailto:danstowell%2b...@gmail.com>
        <mailto:danstowell+osm@gmail.__com
        <mailto:danstowell%2b...@gmail.com>>>
        wrote:

             Hi all,

             I heard of something that will be fun for someone who likes
        mapping
             trees!

             There's a project in Cambridge that is planting many apple
        trees, one
             of each variety, in a pattern centred around the south of
        Cambridge.
             It's said to be an art project called "Cambridge Community
             Collection":
        http://www.__cambridgecommunitycollection.__co.uk/
        <http://www.cambridgecommunitycollection.co.uk/>

             So, some lucky people near Cambridge have an opportunity to
        deploy
             their advanced tree tagging skills :)

             Best
             Dan