I've just checked the buildings shape file, and every single entry has
the same feature code unfortunately, the same with woodland.

There is however a functional site shape file which gives outlines of
where some key buildings are, along with their names, e.g. Schools,
Hospitals. So this will be useful.

In the download I did (OpenMap), the waterways weren't connected, but
there is a separate download of water features which might be better
quality. I'll give it a try shortly and see if it's any better.

Tony