On Wed Jul 15 09:37:19 2015 GMT+0100, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> Looks interesting. Anyone know more information about this?
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33532041

The big pathwatch runs until October,  is open to both the general public and
ramblers members alike. The aim is to survey paths with a 1km grid square and
upload the results either through the app, or on the website.

Any square can be chosen,  however there are key squares that must be completed
based on a sample of 200 per highway authority.  I'm not convinced by this as
rural areas have sparse coverage,  and urban areas have complete coverage.
Telford,  semi rural has the same number of squares as Shropshire and
Leicestershire, and the lax planning rules caused by the new towns act will, I
am sure, bring up some interesting results.

I have downloaded the app, not too sure yet, can only highlight a bad stile,
not a good one.

More here
http://www.ramblers.org.uk/get-involved/join-the-big-pathwatch.aspx

Key squares here, only visible if not logged in
https://bigpathwatch.ramblers.org.uk/map-of-sample-squares

Please do sign up, and complete some squares and add to OSM at the same time.

Phil (trigpoint )

--
Sent from my Jolla