On 05/09/15 09:18, Dave F. wrote:
Hi

A user has been converting the maxspeed tag of railway line from mph to kph:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/278060675/history#map=17/51.42363/-2.72120

It appears to be a straight conversion ie 100mph = 161. Which seems a bit silly. I'm sure the limit wouldn't be exactly 161.

I thought that mph was valid as long as it was labelled as such.

Are the signs next to the rails still in mph?

All the ones I've seen in Notts and Derbys still are. I can't comment on further afield, although I do vaguely remember seeing something on the news a couple of months ago saying that the train management system on the ECML was being changed to something* that would register in-cab speeds in km/h.

His edits appear to be country wide.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/308866549/history

I've sent him a message asking why he's doing it.

FWIW I did ask a previous mph -> km/h changer the same question:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/30977485

Cheers,

Andy (SomeoneElse)

* which might be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Rail_Traffic_Management_System or something else - not sure.