Some time ago Chris wrote:

> In the blog article
> (http://chris-osm.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/more-lidar-goodness.html) I
> explain a bit about the difference between DSM and DTM. DSM
> does include
> building outlines. I've processed a small part of the data to see them.
> Here's an example of a TIFF of DSM data with the building outlines:
> http://raggedred.net/shared/ta0230.tif
>
> Suitably processed this could provide a source of building outlines.

For about the last eight days I have been following the notes in the blog
article mentioned above to process and upload the DSM 2m, 1m, 50cm and 25cm
data for TM01, TM02, TM03, TM11, TM12, TM13, TM21, TM22, and TM23 - the 30km x
30km area which completely covers the Tendring district of Essex and gets a
small bit of the surrounding area (Mersea Island, part of Colchester, part of
south Suffolk including a bit of Felixstowe, for example). The 2m and 1m data I
generated z9-z18 and 50cm and 25cm I generated z9-z19. This created just under
1.5 million tiles (which totalled just under 11GB). There were probably quite a
lot of completely transparent tiles in that number.

Results can be viewed at
http://www.loach.me.uk/Lidar/
with the steps I followed available at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:EdLoach/Tendring_LIDAR

Locally, the 25cm data seems to mainly follow coastlines with patches over
Colchester and north Clacton (switch off the different layers to see coverage
of each).

Ed