On 13/01/16 11:24, Ed Loach wrote:
> Is there an easy way to find a wikidata reference (if there is one) if you
> have the DfE URN (the ref:edubase value)?
> I've not been adding wikidata tags so far as I don't know how to find the
> value without a lot of searching.
> And if there is an easy way, do we really need both ref:edubase and wikidata
> tags on the same object?

Where a clean identifier to third party data is available it makes sense
to use it. And in this case the fact that we can freely use the edubase
reference is nice. There is no need to have to bounce through some other
service because of licence restrictions, so only that reference is
needed. Using that to look up a mirror record in wikidata seems
pointless in this case? That wikidata could return their version via a
link from the base reference is their problem? I'm not planning to work
on wikidata to add missing records, so making a wikidata tag a
'required' on the project seems wrong!

All my local schools have a boundary tagged with amenity=school, but for
speed I'm using potlatch2 rather than josm and the existing defaults on
the details don't match the project guidelines. I'm a little loathed to
re-tag details simply to change from one style to another especially
when it then no longer displays in potlatch2, adding to which I have
listed building information on some buildings as well ...

We do not have any mechanism as yet to use references like this to
leaver the third party data which would simplify accessing data such as
website, so I am planning to duplicate that entry from the edubase site
for website and phone.

Just as a little funny. My wife's school had 119 pupils ...  60 boys and
60 girls :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL