On 19 January 2016 at 13:17, Bogus Zaba <bog...@bogzab.plus.com> wrote:
> At the end of the day however, if Welsh schools are tagged with
> ref:estyn=* but not with ref:edubase=*, am I right in thinking that they
> will not be picked up as "progress" in the quarterly project?

All UK ways and relations tagged with either amenity=school or
amenity=college will get picked up by my tool at
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/schools/ . I then attempt to match these
OSM objects with the schools on the official lists. Any ref:edubase,
ref:seedcode and ref:deniirn values are used on a first pass, but
after that there is a second pass that matches each unmatched school
on the official list to the nearest OSM object within 1km that hasn't
yet been matched. In rural areas (schools generally more than 1km
apart) this works very well. In urban areas the tool can often match
things the wrong way. But a match will still correspond to a school in
OSM being counted, even if it's an incorrect match.

So apart from some of the matches in the tool being wrong, almost
everything should still be counted. (The exception is if there's a
missing postcode in the official data, or the actual location of the
school is more than 1km from the postcode centroid. Then the match
won't happen.)

Hope that helps,

Robert.

--