A quick check on taginfo only directed me to one Outward Bound centre (that
in Eskdale Green), and that is just tagged as a building. They have 6
centres. Another organisation rather different in scope is the Field
Studies Council with around 12 centres. Provision by LEA is declining (the
Castleton centre is now a Youth Hostel), but better off schools will often
have their own dedicated centre. Plas-y-Brenin
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/374805099#map=18/53.10222/-3.91711>,
which is more directly sport oriented, is only mapped as buildings..

These are fairly distinct institutions with a mix of education & leisure
objectives: with their primary role being education (certainly from a
financial perspective & the need to have instructors DBS (CRB) checked). If
we had a widely used top-level education key, I'd use that, but as most, if
not all, education-related places use the amenity key, that's where I'd
start. So I'd suggest something like amenity=outdoor_education_centre or
amenity=outdoor_learning_centre. Sub-tagging could be used to distinguish
those with a bent towards physical activities versus those which do field
study.

Plas-y-Brenin does fit the leisure=sports_centre suggested by DanS.

There must be at least a hundred, if not several hundred such facilities in
the UK. I'm aware of similar places in many alpine villages in the Swiss
Alps (e.g., a " Ferien- und Schulungszentrum" near Ilanz), and passed
the "Maison
des Salines" <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/94079741> in Brittany,
shortly after SotM-France. ( The latter appears to be used as a Colonie des
Vacances, so I tagged this as leisure=holiday_camp.). Therefore I would
think there are good reasons not to try & coerce these places into an
existing tagging scheme.

In addition to ones providing accommodation & classroom facilites, many
wildlife trusts, and similar bodies, have smaller centres for non
residential courses. Ones I know well are: Attenborough Nature Centre, Idle
Valley Rural Learning Centre
<http://www.nnc.ac.uk/idle-valley-rural-learning-centre>, and the Wyre
Forest Discovery Centre <http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-6frd7h>.
Many of these will share a building with a cafe and shop and perhaps other
facilities.

On a closing note, one of my favourite such places at Gibraltar Point,
which I stayed at as recently as November 2012, was wrecked by a storm
surge in 2013 <http://www.lincstrust.org.uk/gibraltar-point-education>.

Jerry