According to Wikipedia, it is country-dependent. As it is an English
word, we should only discuss about its meaning in an English-speaking
context. There is no such thing as a hamlet in Germany for example; they
have different words with different semantics, which may or may not map
onto English concepts.

The common theme indicated by the Wikipedia article is that a hamlet is
in some way dependent or subordinate to a larger settlement. For example
it may not have its own church. That in itself does not define an
absolute cut-off point in terms of population; it is dependent on the
settlement's context with respect to its surroundings.

In the UK of course it is a matter of status to be called a City, and
there is an unambiguous list of cities. This list can only be changed by
the Crown through parliament. The smallest city is St Davids in Wales,
with a population of 1841 (2011 figure). Any attempt to retag it in OSM
to place=village will probably be reverted within 0.1 nanoseconds....

A smaller incorporated settlement (civil parish) can decide unilaterally
to call itself a town. Changes don't happen very often of course, but it
is a point of civic pride for the inhabitants as the council becomes a
Town Council and they can have a Town Mayor. This is also independent of
the population, but the status is carried by the council whose area may
include a substantial rural element, which would also become part of the
"town". If you ask an inhabitant of that area whether X is a town or a
village, they will tell you, and it has nothing to do with
population....

In other countries a rule based on population may be appropriate, but in
the UK it is definitely a question of status.

//colin