SK53 <sk53.osm@...> writes:

> many contributors do it not purely to add stuff to OSM, but for a multitude
of other reasons:
> to learn more about the places around where one lives;
> to get out;
> to meet-up with like minded people;
> to get some exercise;
> to go to the less obvious places;
> to avoid stultifying in front of a screen;
> to collect some data for some other purpose.
>
> As long as people are motivated by one or all of these reasons, I see no
reason why they won't contribute to OSM. I suspect it's a fallacy that
people only contribute to OSM because other sources of OpenData aren't up to
scratch. If we have competition it is with other types of
volunteer-collected data, not with things like OS Open Data. OSM will never
achieve the consistency of coverage that OSGB do, so there will always be
applications and use-cases which will prefer to use data of this sort

Only up to a point. I don’t expect OSM to be better for everyone, but I
would stop contributing and find other outlets for my spare time if I ever
feel the ability to be useful (and keep other sources of maps and map data
from being complacent) goes away; I have in fact not mapped bus routes for
some time because I haven’t seen enough reward there.

--
Andrew