On 21/08/2016 20:39, Ed Catmur wrote:
Does anyone feel like sending a welcome message and/or keeping an eye
on them for any subsequent vandalism this week or next weekend?

I've applied a 0-hour block http://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/1005 (essentially a "message that has to be read before they can continue mapping"). Their locale is zh-CN so it's possible that not all of that message will be intelligible to them (though their changeset comments are all in English), but it should at least cause some pause for thought.

Essentially what BCNorwich had already done in http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/41583904 was exactly right - send a constructive, helpful, non-blaming message to the new user. As we've seen from some of the MAPS.ME edits not everyone who edits OSM for the first time knows what it is or what they're doing.

Cheers,
Andy